Friday, November 6, 2020

Making a Start

Since March when Covid hit, I haven't written an original word. I just can't find the energy to start new work (I know I'm not the only one). In the past few days, though, a couple of the stories from Bloodshot have loomed in my thoughts. And a particular idea I've had for several years wouldn't leave me alone. 

The idea came to me years ago while hiking Paradise Ridge after my sister Paula's death in 2010--to adapt some of my short stories into graphic form. I can recall this pulse of energy that charged the whole hike. I could do three at a time, bring out these little chapbooks. 

At the time, though, the stories themselves were unpublished or had only appeared in journals--so it didn't really make sense. How do you "adapt" something that doesn't yet have a published original?

But now, a book of stories out in the world for a couple of years and the mulling over what that means the past few days, of whether I'll never again work with those stories. I find myself still very close to the stories, sort of longing to be in them again.  

And so while walking the creek today I decided to make a new start with old work. It's welcome for now when nothing new will come, when the old beckons. 

The day finally came to give it a go.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for checking in!

The incredible Marco Bovi rounds out the collection with this, the sixth and final story, to be completed for the upcoming BLOODSHOT WORLD.