Wednesday, December 2, 2020

First Artist

 Out of a double boatload of applicants, I found Grego Pulp's portfolio. His retro style really blew me away, and I was especially struck by how he conceptualizes a page. Maybe it's because I'm a newbie to creating comics that I'm drawn to his style, but he doesn't work from a series of panels so much as through a flow among the panels. The organic transitions cause the images to rely more on each other, which reinforces a sense of time moving and deepens the dream, IMHO.

Here's an image from his work The Seeker:


Grego's color is lovely, but I think color might be a step too far for this project. I always come back to the power of Maus. The power's in the story, and it's also in the B&W images, the way the viewer moves between the words and the stark figures to make meaning. Plus, B&W is definitely cheaper, and there's a budget to consider--the more thrifty I am, the more stories can be adapted. 

So, yeah, Grego Pulp for the zombie story. And Paul London for the script because I don't yet know how to write a comics script. 

1 comment:

Thanks for checking in!

Cemetery Dance Interview on Bloodshot World

Cemetery Dance just published an interview with me about Bloodshot World. One thing that puzzles me is that I really enjoy talking about c...